Houseplant Shop E-Newsletter
February 25, 2021
|Click here if you are having trouble viewing.|
|Houseplants 101 | Weekly Special | Featured Items | New Arrivals|
What Bugs You?
by Joey Bokor
If you love your plants, I am sure that bugs bug you. We never like to see pests on our plant babies, but it happens from time to time. It is just a part of being a plant parent.
Some of the most common houseplant pests are: fungus gnats, soft scale, aphids, spider mites, and mealy bugs. While there are a variety of different pests, the treatment for all of them is similar, just follow these easy steps:
1. Quarantine - I know that word makes us cringe at this point, but when one of your plants has a pest, separate it from your other plants. Now you can treat the plant with an issue and it is less likely to spread to your other plants.
2. Remove Bad Leaves - Regular removal of damaged leaves is important for good plant health. Old leaves make a nice home for pest and disease issues and steal nutrients and energy away from new leaves. If your infected plant has a few leaves that have a large number of bugs, remove those leaves in addition to any damaged leaves to make treating the plant a little easier.
3. Clean Leaves - Since houseplants aren't typically that large, clean any active insects that you see away with a slightly damp rag.
4. Spray Plants - Our go-to treatment is Neem Oil. To treat, spray a neem mixture on the tops and bottoms of leaves just until they are lightly coated and spray a little on top of the soil as well. Treat weekly to twice weekly, depending on how bad the infestation is. If you need something a little stronger than neem, try Captain Jack's Deadbug Brew.
5. Proper Watering - Especially if you are dealing with fungus gnats, make sure that you are allowing the roots to dry out in between watering. A favorite place for the adult flies to lay their eggs is in damp soil.
Remember that while pests bug us, they are a part of nature. They are just looking for a nice home and some food. We just don't want their home to be our indoor plants. It's just time for a little encouragement for those bugs to find another place to call home.
The Weekly Special
All Calathea - 15% Off
Add a White Fusion or Rattlesnake calathea to your collection this week with 15% off all calathea. Use the code CAL15 at checkout.
Valid Through 3/3/2021
This Week's New Arrivals
Click to Shop the Collection
Fiddle Leaf Fig Bambino - 6" Pot
Philodendron Fat Boy - 4" Pot
Philodendron Glad Hands - 2" and 4" Pot
Philodendron Red Emerald - 6" Pot
Philodendron Silver Sword - 2" Pot
Alocasia Black Velvet - 6" Pot
Ivy English - 4" Pot
Ficus Creeping Fig Variegated - 6" Pot
Calathea White Fusion - 4" Pot
Calathea Rattlesnake - 6" Pot
Fern Curly Boston - 6" Pot
Fern Austral Gem - 6" Pot
Fern Jester's Crown - 6" Pot
Fern Victoria Bird's Nest - 6" Pot
Hoya Retusa - 6" Basket
Monstera Adansonii - 4" Pot
Mini Monstera - 6" Pot
Peperomia Cupid - 3" Pot and 6" Basket
Peperomia Ginny - 4" Pot
Peperomia Napoli Nights - 4" Pot
Peperomia Piccolo Banda - 4" Pot
Peperomia Schumi Red - 4" Pot
Philodendron Brasil - 4" Pot
Philodendron McColley's Finale - 6" Pot
Sansevieria Superba - 4" Pot
Sansevieria Black Coral - 4" Pot
Spider Plant Variegated - 4" Pot